OpenELEC Forum
My Home 1/2 Rack - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: User contribution (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: MY OPENELEC SETUP AND COOL THINGS IT CAN DO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: My Home 1/2 Rack (/showthread.php?tid=1149)

My Home 1/2 Rack - saik0 - 12-15-2010

It's finally (almost) done! The rack is made of a painted IKEA Eina (formerly known as Corras) nightstand. Just need to replace that old consumer switch (2 dead ports now) with something rackable and add a power outlet and cable jack closer to the rack.

[attachment=48]DSCN0869-small.jpg[/attachment]

Contents:
On the top of the rack Netgear 8 port gigabit switch
Top Trendnet 24 Port Cat6 patch panel.
Middle Atom based NAS running Nexenta. 4x1.5TB WD Greens in ZRAID1
Bottom Cyberpower OR700 UPS
Right (upper) Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato
Right (lower) Comcast cable modem and VoIP EMTA

Re: My Home 1/2 Rack - MindTooth - 12-15-2010

Made sure you have enough connectors I see Wink Good to see someone make the extra effort.

Aw: My Home 1/2 Rack - sraue - 12-15-2010

Hi,

nice, so IKEA sells 19" racks?! great idea for the home-serverfarm :-) good to know!

thanks

Stephan

Re: My Home 1/2 Rack - soonergeek - 12-16-2010

That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

How do you like nexenta? I've been considering rolling my own NAS and it sounds like a pretty good solution.

Re: My Home 1/2 Rack - saik0 - 12-16-2010

soonergeek post=1186 Wrote:That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

How do you like nexenta? I've been considering rolling my own NAS and it sounds like a pretty good solution.

Thanks. I really like Nexenta (Using Nexenta Core, not NexentaStor). It does everything I'd want a NAS/SAN box to do. ZFS and OSOL's SMB/NFS/iSCSI are pretty awesome. It also runs MySQL (for xbmc db). I managed to package Transmission on it, and other users have reported to get SABNZBd working as well, and I imagine SickBeard and CouthPotato shouldn't be too hard if you're into that sort of thing. I have a hard time recommending Nexenta though. It may not be a viable long term solution. We'll see how things develop in the next year or so.

If your interested in what hardware I used: It makes a great always-on fileserver and download/seed box and only draws 50W at full load. I calculated in terms of energy savings the thing pays for itself in 4 years as long as I keep the power hungry desktop in S3 when not in use. (Based on US hardware and energy costs)

Chassis: Casetronic TE-1160
Motherboard: Supermicro X7SPA-H
Memory 4GB DDR2 667
Boot Disk Transcend TS2GSDOM22V (Not recommended, I got it dirt cheap)
Data Disks 4x2TB Western Digital WD2003FYYS in ZRAID-1*

*Actually these are on the way. WD accidentally put a known defective disk into circulation, and I was the lucky one to pick it up. After bitching I got them to upgrade me to these from 1.5 TB Green Drives.

As for the boot disk I had to use compression on / to make it happen. Also all logs, dpkg cache, and mySQL tables are on the zraid (okay, that last one I would have done anyways). It's only at half capacity, and has so few write cycles I didnt' bother mirroring it. (I do backup / snapshots to the zraid though)

Re: My Home 1/2 Rack - saik0 - 12-16-2010

Mindtooth: Did you create this forum category when you moved my post? I dont remeber seeing it. Maybe I'll take some shots of the ACTUAL openelec setup.');

Re: My Home 1/2 Rack - MindTooth - 12-16-2010

saik0 post=1189 Wrote:Mindtooth: Did you create this forum category when you moved my post? I dont remeber seeing it. Maybe I'll take some shots of the ACTUAL openelec setup.
Yes I did Smile I figured that an own place to show of the members HTPC-setups would be nice.