OpenELEC Forum
Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: MISCELLANEOUS (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art (/showthread.php?tid=11788)

Pages: 1 2

Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - cyberman - 09-24-2011

Hello !

After a lot of searching my choice for a HTPC is the Zotac ZBOX AD02 or Zotac ZBOX ID41.

I would rather take the Zotac ZBOX AD02 because I read it is more efficient (has lower power consumption and is generally a bit faster.) But I read about a lot of problems with the Fusion GPU.

What is the current progress? Could anybody who owns a Zotac ZBOX AD02 tell me, if it runs well by now? Or in a month?

Because if there are still many problems then I will go for the ZBOX ID41.

And two little off-topic questions: Once I install openelec, can I update / modify XBMC as I wish? I guess new XBMC releases / updates are being given through a openelec repositary? And as it is based on Ubuntu, do I have acces to the normal ubuntu repositaries so I can easily install other software like e.g. a snes emulator?

I read there is work on a XBMC version with a integrated TV patch, is it possible to acces this here? I have a DVB-T USB receiver, it would be nice to use it.

Thank you very much! And please excuse my bad english Confused

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - Kapz786 - 09-25-2011

cyberman post=11788 Wrote:Hello !

After a lot of searching my choice for a HTPC is the Zotac ZBOX AD02 or Zotac ZBOX ID41.

I would rather take the Zotac ZBOX AD02 because I read it is more efficient (has lower power consumption and is generally a bit faster.) But I read about a lot of problems with the Fusion GPU.

What is the current progress? Could anybody who owns a Zotac ZBOX AD02 tell me, if it runs well by now? Or in a month?

Because if there are still many problems then I will go for the ZBOX ID41.

And two little off-topic questions: Once I install openelec, can I update / modify XBMC as I wish? I guess new XBMC releases / updates are being given through a openelec repositary? And as it is based on Ubuntu, do I have acces to the normal ubuntu repositaries so I can easily install other software like e.g. a snes emulator?

I read there is work on a XBMC version with a integrated TV patch, is it possible to acces this here? I have a DVB-T USB receiver, it would be nice to use it.

Thank you very much! And please excuse my bad english Confused

Also in the same boat as you except i have an AD10.

Reading some of the posts it seems there are a lot of issues still to be resolved to get OpenElec fully functional with the Zbox features.

Also wondering if its possible to run something like MythTV etc with OpenElec?

If all else fails I may have to resort to running Ubuntu 11.04 and XBMC off my SSD.

Is there any downside to doing something like this?
http://pellepelster.de/installing-ubuntu-11-04-and-xmbc-on-zotac-ad02/

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - jendres - 09-26-2011

I'm currently running the i386 Fusion build ( OpenELEC-Fusion.i386-devel-20110922153032-r7913.tar.bz2 ).
I tried a previous x64 Fusion build and it worked to an extent, but didn't have the plugins available and there was sheering on HD playback.

I also tried just about every version of ubuntu on the machine and never got it going right. Failures on install, crashes, and problems installing software. XBMC live doesn't work properly either.

With Openelec I have it running smoothly on HD content and transmission is running in the background. I'd like to see it with full UVD3 supported!

My current issues with the build:
1) The TV theme song add on downloads the mp3s but it doesn't seem to play them. Probably not an openelec thing.

2) Trouble connecting with some remote control apps on an Android and iPhone.

3) Very occasional freezing. Usually when trying to configure

4) No MAME! I'm really disappointed with this, but I'm going to look at trying to hack the build on a VMWare machine and add it on. With MAME included it would be awesome.

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - waver123 - 09-26-2011

If you don't mind some occasional freeze, and some videos that don't play correctly, the ad02 is ok w/ the current sw, it's really up to your tolerance level. You get a little more cpu power + future proof w/ hd bitstreaming. As for me the freeze is very annoying.

If you don't want any hassle then get a atom/ion or culv/ion or a nvidia add-on card.

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - Splash - 09-27-2011

Don't disappoint yourself and stay away from the fusion architecture. OpenELEC works, as mentioned, to some extend. I own a Zotac fusion mini-itx board and I have serious troubles with the sound and wlan. I also had some freezes out of nothing. Don't know if the devs have solved it so far. No comments from them on this side.

So far it seems, that the whole fusion thing is not really supported by linux or exactly by the specific programs (xbmc, ffmpeg, vlc, and so on) responsible for the video playback. Furthermore OpenELEC is at the moment the only linux based possibility to get an out-of-the-box support for HD video playback. Don't even think of Ubuntu, openSUSE or the other distributions. They all have absolutely no support for xvba through vaapi.

I solved all this by putting an old NVIDIA 8600GT graphics card into my PCIe x4 slot...

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - cyberman - 09-27-2011

Thank you all for your answers!

As there is nothing I hate more than "occasional freezez" I will go for the ZOTAC ZBOX-ID41-U or ND22.

You all have helped me very much, thanks!

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - supahfly - 09-28-2011

Indeed a wise choice...
Only thing is for openelec I never got my gyration kbd/remote to work with it.
So if you have one of those, you should go for the live cd.

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - waver123 - 09-29-2011

cyberman, FWIW I picked up a nd22 box and am very happy with it running openelec.

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - supahfly - 09-30-2011

Update: Gyration is working now thx to the adding of HID support
Thanks Stefan!

Re: Zotac ZBOX AD02 - current state of the art - chemstar - 10-04-2011

hi to all,

i do own a ad02 zbox. i've already tried all the actuall openelec builds i386,x64 and none of them is able to suspend/wakeup the machine. on wakeup i'm getting 3-4 beeps again and again. windows 7, installed on the same machine is suspending fine.