OpenELEC Forum
How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: MISCELLANEOUS (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build (/showthread.php?tid=18191)

How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Simon_rb - 12-01-2011

Hi

I have googled and searched the forums however I can not find a simple answer.

I'm currently using a nightly pre - Eden build which has been working great (I like the AirPlay). I have a newer build to update to with the weather fix so I'd like to test that.

My question is how exactly do I update my pre-Eden nightly build? I have noticed an update folder on my memory card, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Closest I have found is replacing SYSTEM & KERNEL Folders?!?!?

Any help guys will be received great fully :lol:

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Gtach - 12-01-2011

Well, I do it like this:

- Start old system up
- Make a copy of the UserData share form another client (contains 99% of config)
- Install new OE release and reboot (twice, as I can't get connection to the new UserData share after the first reboot)
- Delete all from the new UserData share and then copy you old Userdata content into the new now empty UserData share
- Wait a moment so all is written, as I don't know how to "eject" the stick I have OE on
- Reset OE system. Don't reboot, as it seems GUI settings are written on shutdown changing you copied data
- Voilá...

Works for me

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - SneezyD - 12-01-2011

Place the new KERNEL and SYSTEM file in the update folder and reboot. Very easy Smile

The update folder is also shared over the network, so you can place the files in there from your desktop.

The KERNEL and SYSTEM file are in the target directory if you extract the downloaded zip.

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Simon_rb - 12-01-2011

Thanks peps... Will give it ago later

Cheers :laugh:

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Gtach - 12-01-2011

Ok, SneezyDs way looks a bit more streamlined than mine... learned something today, great :-)

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Simon_rb - 12-01-2011

SneezyD post=18194 Wrote:Place the new KERNEL and SYSTEM file in the update folder and reboot. Very easy Smile

The update folder is also shared over the network, so you can place the files in there from your desktop.

The KERNEL and SYSTEM file are in the target directory if you extract the downloaded zip.

Worked a treat!!! Cheers

Ps. How do I Mark this as solved? Or do the moderators do that?

Cheers

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - ozong - 12-03-2011

Will this method keep user settings, like Tvheadend channels settings and other settings?

TIA Oz

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - Simon_rb - 12-04-2011

ozong post=18419 Wrote:Will this method keep user settings, like Tvheadend channels settings and other settings?

TIA Oz

Hi,

I don't use Tvheadend, so can't comment however all my settings were kept.

Cheers

Re: How to update pre-Eden daily build with a newer pre-Eden daily build - ozong - 12-04-2011

Simon_rb post=18435 Wrote:I don't use Tvheadend, so can't comment however all my settings were kept.

Cheers

Well i tried, it does keep the settings, but my PVR-client was unable to start after the update =(

Luckily i had a backup of the old system, so i managed to get it running again...

Well ill wait for a better build =)

Oz