OpenELEC Forum
The big ION jitter data collection thread - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: KODI (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: The big ION jitter data collection thread (/showthread.php?tid=18587)

Pages: 1 2

The big ION jitter data collection thread - newphreak - 12-05-2011

THIS THREAD IS SPEFICALLY TO COLLATE DATA ABOUT A SPECIFIC JITTER ISSUE THAT EXISTS WITH ION HARDWARE AND XBMC/OPENELEC, particularly with later Nvidia drivers. PLEASE DO NOT POLLUTE IT WITH GENERAL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS - use this thread for that and for further background!

We're trying to get as much info on this issue as possible to submit to the main developers of both XBMC and OpenELEC to see if there is a solution.
Summary of issue:
A jitter issue occurs where XBMC drops frames fairly regularly when playing typical downloaded TVRip files at 1080p/24 on a 24p TV - and indeed all MKV files whether self made or net sourced. You can see the issue on screen as sporadic timing errors (little half second speed ups in the play on a regular basis), and if you observe the 'drop' counter in the XBMC OSD this rises steadily. The jitters do NOT appear in the same place in the file each time and are pretty much no
In the log file you will see these entries:
WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 31593, consumed: 0
Specific Manifestations
Pre RC1 Openelec - The issue is almost non-existent on this version. Apart from initial frame drops (approximately 20) as is common with all XBMCs at start-up while initialisation occurs, there are only ever very rare drops while actually playing files. A typical movie length file might end with a total of maybe 25 drops, so only 5 since the initial 20.
RC2 and later Openelecs - The issue is present (and seems to be getting worse over time!). Watching a longer file/movie, you will see frame drops occurring every few mins at most. The frame drop counter climbs steadily during the movie. A movie might end with 100+ drops. The visual result is annoying jitters where the action speeds up slightly for a moment. The log will be littered with the above error messages.
--
Tell us about your set up (answer separately if you have more than one install please):

1. OpenELEC Build: OpenELEC-ION.x86_64-1.0.2
  2. Hardware: Make and model (Example, ASUS EEE-Box EB1501p
  3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: List all settings or take a screenshot
  4. Do you stream your media, is it played locally from hdd, or are there any other special things that could be different from user to user? list it as misc.

Please use this format for your reply - again, this is NOT a general thread for commentary or questions about the issue.
Use this thread for general info/questions: http://openelec.tv/forum/24-ion-platforms/13124-xs35gtv2-jittering

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - rubylaser - 12-05-2011

2. Hardware: Shuttle XS35GTv2
3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Sync to Display on, and Sync Audio enabled
4. I stream media via NFS from my Solaris 11 ZFS array over gigabit ethernet.

* Currently back on RC1 64 bit as all other versions RC2+ introduce jitters to the playback experience.

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - Nielsen - 12-05-2011

1. OpenELEC Build: OpenELEC-Generic.i386-devel-20111201235953-r8853 (Pre-Eden)
2. Hardware: Zotac Zbox ND22
3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Render auto; VDPAU/VAAPI on; Adjust Refresh Rate on; Sync Playback to Display off
4. Stream Bluray REMUX via SMB from Synology DS1511+ over gigabit ethernet.

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - Watter - 12-05-2011

2. Hardware: Zotac ID40-Plus
  3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Sync to display-enabled, Sync Audio-disabled
  4. SMB stream from DIY NAS over GB LAN. In RC1, very few drops; in 1.0.2, frequent drops; in both RC1 and 1.0.2 I occasionally get what can best be described as a short stutter, but it doesn't register as an dropped frames under "codec info", so I assume it's unrelated but reporting here just in case it's not.

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - seanchronnery - 12-06-2011

2. Hardware: Shuttle XS35GT
3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Sync to display-enabled, Sync Audio-disabled
4. SMB stream over gigabit ethernet from unRAID box

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - Bossanova808 - 12-06-2011

1. OpenELEC Build: OpenELEC-ION RC1 currently, tried them all from RC2 to 1.0.2
3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Sync to display-enabled, Sync Audio Enabled (audio clock)
4. NFS stream from Win7 server.

RC1 - very few jitters
RC2+ - lots of jitters

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - xe - 12-06-2011

Bossanova808 post=18641 Wrote:1. OpenELEC Build: OpenELEC-ION RC1 currently, tried them all from RC2 to 1.0.2
3. XBMC Settings under System -> Video -> Playback: Sync to display-enabled, Sync Audio Enabled (audio clock)
4. NFS stream from Win7 server.

RC1 - very few jitters
RC2+ - lots of jitters

You forgot to say before and after CPU architectures. i.e.32bit both times, different?

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - Bossanova808 - 12-06-2011

RC1 - 32 bit, don't think I tried 64 bit. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit of various versions post RC1. No difference on this issue (or anything else I noticed).

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - floyd4711 - 12-06-2011

1. OpenELEC Build: OpenELEC-ION.x86_64 RC1 currently, tried them all from RC2 to 1.0.2
3. XBMC Settings:
Render: auto detect
vdpau: on
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: off
Sync playback to display: on
AV sync method: Video clock (resample audio)
Allowed error in aspect..: none
Display 4:3 video as: normal
Vdpau color conversion: off
Video post-procesing: disabled
Teletext: off
4a. 90% Seagate Expansion 2TB on Shuttle USB (TV Series)
4b. 5% Shuttle HDD (TV Series)
4c. 5% SMB share from Buffalo Linkstation HD-H250LAN (500GB selfmade) [100MB LAN] (Movies)

RC1 - very few jitters
RC2+ - lots of jitters

Bluerayrips are much better than TV-Rips

Re: The big ION jitter data collection thread - ericab - 12-10-2011

OpenELEC Build: devel-20111207172407-r8884
Hardware: Zotac ZBox ND-22
XBMC Settings: [Image: IMG_20111210_145400.jpg]

Misc: Streamed. daily builds previous had no issues like this for me

i watched a recent episode of ancient aliens, and 12 minutes into it, i already had 3,200 dropped frames.