OpenELEC Forum
Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: PVR + LIVE TV (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun (/showthread.php?tid=28629)

Pages: 1 2

Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - funkmuffin - 03-19-2012

Hi! I picked up a HDHomerun Dual last week, and had the local cableco come out and hook up their basic service. I've been trying and trying to get the HDHR working properly through tvheadend, and I'm completely stuck.

I've been following the original feature thread that has lots of helpful information, but my system just doesn't seem to be cooperating.

Here's what I've done (a few times now)

1. install openelec (updated to the most recent generic PVR build)
2. enable LiveTV
3. enable tvheadend PVR client
4. install tvheadend (service) addon
5. install hdhomerun addon
6. reboot
7. configure tvheadend via web browser from a second pc (basically channel scan for the two detected hdhomerun adapter)

Now, while those instructions seem to have worked properly for the fellow who wrote them, on my machine, tvheadend doesn't show my HDHR tuners until I manually run the HDHR add-on's /bin/userspace-driver.sh and kill tvheadend. That forces tvheadend to restart, and it then shows my tuners, but they don't work. At the moment, I'm not worried about the fact that they don't work, I'd rather just work on getting everything to start correctly from boot, then worry about tuners.

Incase it matters, the HDHR works just fine connected to my Mac.

I'm running OpenELEC_PVR-Generic.i386-devel-20120303062721-r9963

Edit: I'm wondering if there's a timing issue when tvheadend-start runs during boot and starts the HDHR driver, since /var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log shows no tuners found until I manually start the HDHR driver

Thanks!

Ryan

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - ultraman - 03-19-2012

Can you please try to use this file userspace-driver.sh? I add some delay inside because I suspect that the driver itself doesn't work fast.

In ssh console:
Code:
wget -O /storage/.xbmc/addons/driver.dvb.hdhomerun/bin/userspace-driver.sh http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8224157/OpenELEC-Ultra/addons/userspace-driver.sh
And can you paste this before and after replacing above file.
Code:
cat /var/log/messages | paste

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - funkmuffin - 03-19-2012

Thanks Ultraman -- Will do this evening after work. I took a quick look at the script you linked. It looks like you increased the wait value from 1xxxxxx to 3xxxxxx, true? For the record, I had already increased that value in my script to 2xxxxx and still had the problem.

I'll give your new script a try and paste my results in a few hours!

Thanks!

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - ultraman - 03-19-2012

So you know what are you doing. Even better :laugh:

Yes, I increased this delay. But I also add another delay after modprobe. Seems something doesn't come up right after boot. Please make this test and report back.

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - funkmuffin - 03-19-2012

Ahh -- was wondering if I it was actually the device and modprobe not connecting quickly enough. And it's a great disservice to people who actually know what they're doing to say that I know what I'm doing. Smile I know a little...

OK, here's /var/log/messages with the add-on default script: link

and here's /var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log: link

and here they are after the new script

/var/log/messages : link

/var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log : link

Looks like it worked! Not sure though whether it was the wait for modprobe, or the wait for the driver, but it worked.

Now - do you know which file needs edited to change the tuners from atsc to dvb-c?

Thanks!

Because I don't have any HDHomerun tuner you will need to fix this yourself. Play with different values for delay and you will see which one is important. Probably the one after modprobe. Maybe 1 sec would be enough.

Config file: In addon home folder you have a file adapters.txt. In this file you will get adapter serial number. In same folder you have a file dvbhdhomerun.sample. Rename this to dvbhdhomerun.conf and change inside serial numbers and tuner_type. After reboot it should be used.

Awesome! Thanks Ultraman! I'll keep a copy of the script around in case future updates cause problems.

Off now to figure out how to get my channels in tvheadend.

Thanks for the quick help!

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - travis90245 - 04-20-2012

I'm having this same issue. Is the script still available somewhere?

Thanks!

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - ultraman - 04-20-2012

Thanks to Dropbox undelete function it is available again.

But it would be nice if someone could play with this sleep values to get correct one. Especially after modprobe. I think this one is problematic. Then I could update the addon. I don't linke to use to much if not really needed. This just delays when system is ready.

Re: Lots of trouble with HDHomerun - requesting a little help - travis90245 - 04-20-2012

Thanks for this - hopefully I can get it working and will report back.