OpenELEC Forum
HDMI Audio channels - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: HDMI Audio channels (/showthread.php?tid=32140)

HDMI Audio channels - tnarg.retrac - 04-25-2012

Hi all
I am starting to pull out my hair with this issue, and after scouring the forums, cannot find a solution so thought I would ask. Setup overview: Nvidia GT210 connected to Sony Bravia via HDMI. Bravia's optical output connected to Yamaha amp. Bravia supports DD passthrough but not DTS. Setup has been tested under Windows and works perfectly, so I assume I am dealing with a config issue.

Some info you may require:

Code:
root ~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Code:
root ~ # aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output

Running speaker-test through all the card,device combinations I only get sound using 0,7.

I have two problems:

1) When doing a speaker test with 2 channels ( speaker-test -c 2 -D hw:0,7 ) I hear noise in both front speakers when output is Front Left. Silence when output changes to Front Right.

2) When I play something with 5.1 audio, my amp does not recognise it as 5.1 and I just hear a "ticking" noise therough the front two speakers.

My guess is that the channels in the audio stream are not configured correctly, but have no idea where to start. As mentioned, the physical setup works under Windows.

The above tests were performed without any asound.conf file, although when I use this one, I cannot run the speaker-test command as I get a " Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy"

Code:
root ~ # cat /storage/.config/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 7
}

XBMC is set to custom outputs of plughw:0,7 with DTS disabled.

I would really appreciate any guidance you can give.

Many thanks
Grant

Re: HDMI Audio channels - deibit - 05-01-2012

Hi! did you fix your problem?

I have exactly the same problem (I have a Zotac D2700 mainboard)

The PC is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV, and the TV via Optical cable to a DTS+Dolby Digital capable amp.

I have another streamer (PCH C200) and with *exactly* the same setup, and I can get the Sony amp to decode 5.1 DTS and Dolby Digital.

But this Openelec thing seems to be doing something wrong when sending the signal to the tv/amp. If I activate everything like it should (DD ad DTS capable receiver to yes), all I get is static.

The speaker-test commands give me the same result as you have.

I really don't know what I can do (well I know I can install xbmc under windows, and it will work, but I want to get in working under Linux/Openelec)

Re: HDMI Audio channels - tnarg.retrac - 05-01-2012

Hi deibit

No - I have not made any further progress other than ordering a USB sound card which I plan to connect directly to my amp. Hopefully this will solve my issue. But as to how to solve it with the current setup, I have not received any other guidance.

Regards
Grant

Re: HDMI Audio channels - deibit - 05-05-2012

I made some progress by connecting directly to another amplifier (Onkyo HTX-22HDX).. now the amp recognizes the DTS signal.

It's kind of weird.. because:

- Popcorn C-200 + Passthrough DTS + My old Sony Amp -> Works perfect
- XBMC/Openelec + Passthrough DTS + My old Sony Amp -> Corrupted Sound (pitchy statis noise)

So there seem to be some difference in how XBMC passes through the DTS signal.

Anyway.. now it's not a problem for me (with the new amp) but I guess it might be a problem for some other people.