OpenELEC Forum
My humble opinion about OPENELEC - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+--- Forum: MISCELLANEOUS (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: My humble opinion about OPENELEC (/showthread.php?tid=33345)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

My humble opinion about OPENELEC - Halfway - 05-07-2012

Hello, I've testing for almost two weeks the OPENELEC PVR generic version 1.95.3

I have a DVB/T usb stick to allow the live tv, in a AMD Athlon X2 with 4GB RAM and two HDD of 1.5 TB and 2 TB each, i've made a usb stick with openelec where I'm running it.

The LIVE TV:

After several hours reading and goggleing i was able to configure the liveTV.

I think that tvheadend it's not the hardest backend to configure, but still need some time, also i think is a lot unstable, it get disconnect almost 2 or 3 times a day, every day the EPG data is all messed up, or sometimes there is no data at all. Sometimes switching channels it crash all system, at least once a day, forcing to a total reset of the box.
The audio configuration is never saved, after any restart i always get the wrong audio channels working, no matter i've changed that several times and saved for all the channels.

OPENELEC system:

I've a very important issue with my samba shares, that compromise all the operative of moving and copying files to the openelec box, that's a very important issue.
Installing of configuring anything outside XBMC is a really pain in the ass. For example, to configure something too simple like are the download folders of transmission you have to edit a particular file, that is not the same to change others settings. Get access to the transmission webui is another pain in the ass, you have to change password in another file and cross your fingers. After several hours the webui worked.
There is no intention of a jdownloader, or any other direct link download manager, that's is a shame.
The system is not really stable, i realize that we are talking about a beta version, and i don't know if the instability of the system is fault of the pvr add ons.

My conclusion:

I think that openelec is great for a small system (raspberry, mele, zotac, etc) with no hard drive on it and with no pvr capabilities, connected to a NAS to share files.

For system like mine, with more hardware specifications and internal hdd's, pvr capabilities and download manager, I think that a more "complete" linux version would be more appropriate, like xbmcbuntu or so.

I will give a try for some time more to openelec before trying to install xbmcbuntu.

This is my humble opinion, any advise will be really appreciate.

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - deibit - 05-07-2012

Well.. my Home-Theater Setup is (as a whole) more complex than yours, and Openelec does its job perfectly..

My experience is purely as Home-Theater functionality (meaning.. no PVR and things like that), so I can't really say much about that functionality.

I don't really understand your issue with the Samba shares.. from what I understand, you don't have NAS, but just two HDD?

in my setup the RAID-NAS is doing all the dirty stuff.. meaning.. Transmision+Sickbeard+Couchpotato+SABnzbd+Headphones including postprocessing/renaming and stuff. I never tried to do all of that in the Openelec machine.. but the OS in the NAS (DSM v4.0) is far more restrictive than Openelec and the NAS CPU (Atom D525 1.8Ghz) is less capable than my Openelec machine (Atom D2700 2.13Ghz).. so I don't think that should be a problem.

I don't use SMB at all thought, I use NFS.

Anyway.. if you have trouble setting up Openelec with your (relatively) simple setup, you will have more trouble setting up a full Linux Distro with XBMC.

If you have exotic hardware you will always have troubles thought.

Just my 2 cents... Smile

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - Halfway - 05-07-2012

deibit post=33349 Wrote:Well.. my Home-Theater Setup is (as a whole) more complex than yours, and Openelec does its job perfectly..

My experience is purely as Home-Theater functionality (meaning.. no PVR and things like that), so I can't really say much about that functionality.

I don't really understand your issue with the Samba shares.. from what I understand, you don't have NAS, but just two HDD?

in my setup the RAID-NAS is doing all the dirty stuff.. meaning.. Transmision+Sickbeard+Couchpotato+SABnzbd+Headphones including postprocessing/renaming and stuff. I never tried to do all of that in the Openelec machine.. but the OS in the NAS (DSM v4.0) is far more restrictive than Openelec and the NAS CPU (Atom D525 1.8Ghz) is less capable than my Openelec machine (Atom D2700 2.13Ghz).. so I don't think that should be a problem.

I don't use SMB at all thought, I use NFS.

Anyway.. if you have trouble setting up Openelec with your (relatively) simple setup, you will have more trouble setting up a full Linux Distro with XBMC.

If you have exotic hardware you will always have troubles thought.

Just my 2 cents... Smile

I think the PVR "thing" makes all more complicated, also pvr is in beta in xbmc, and openelec 1.95.3 is a beta itself, so beta inside beta...

I don't have NAS, I have two internal HDDs in the openelec box, the problem with the samba shares is that in that I can't write in neither both HDDs.

I whish i could use nfs, but it seems that openlec is only client nfs, not server nfs...

And I don't think I have any exotic hardware, don't know why you said that.

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - deibit - 05-07-2012

With exotic I meant the TV card Smile

you don't need to use NFS or SMB to access your local drives, you "have to" (can) mount them locally..

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - Halfway - 05-10-2012

deibit post=33352 Wrote:With exotic I meant the TV card Smile

you don't need to use NFS or SMB to access your local drives, you "have to" (can) mount them locally..

How do I do that?? can you explain it a little???

More issues:

- Lot of tearing in every playback (HD Video, SD Video, LiveTV), I've already tried to disable hardware acceleration with no success. There is a post with a guy with the same problem, he was trying to use the "aticonfig" command, without success:
link

no response at all...

Transmission addon is giving a lot of headache, it don't connect to trackers, suddenly it says that don't has space on the disk to resume files, etc.

I have to restart the openelec box at least 2 or 3 times a day... I think I've never had to restart so many times when I was using Windows7 with Windows Media Center. :dry:

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - deibit - 05-10-2012

Regarding the local discs.. the point is that NFS or SMB are network protocols, they are meant to be used for connecting to remote resources. Of course you can use network protocols to manage your local machine too (since your local machine is also networked to itself) but that's not how you are suposed to do it.

My knowledge about Openelec is very limited, but I guess it's not different than standard Linux, so I will tell you how i would do it (I don't have local drives in Openelec, just the installation SSD)

Asuming that Openelec does not mount all local data by itself (detecting it during the installation), you can always mount the drive locally. to "mount" means to link your drives to a filesystem.

The first IDE drive in Linux is always identifies as /dev/hda and the second as /dev/hdb

If the first drive has two partition, then the first partitition will be /dev/hda1 and the second (if there's a second) /dev/hda2 (and so on..)

Let's asume you have movies in the first partition of the first disk and you want to access your movies through the /storage/Movies filesystem entry.

First you have to create the /storage/Movies directory in your local installation disk

and then issue the command "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /storage/Movies" (assuming the partition is formated with ntfs)

this way you can find your movies inside openelec in the /storage/Movies "directory" (should appear magically in your list)

If you want to make this permanent, you should add this configuration to the /etc/fstab file (you can find the fstab format in internet, but it's quite straightforward)

That's how I would do that in Linux... I would asume that Openelec would do that in the same way (if not, I hope that someone corrects me) Smile

m
deibit post=33682 Wrote:Regarding the local discs.. the point is that NFS or SMB are network protocols, they are meant to be used for connecting to remote resources. Of course you can use network protocols to manage your local machine too (since your local machine is also networked to itself) but that's not how you are suposed to do it.

My knowledge about Openelec is very limited, but I guess it's not different than standard Linux, so I will tell you how i would do it (I don't have local drives in Openelec, just the installation SSD)

Asuming that Openelec does not mount all local data by itself (detecting it during the installation), you can always mount the drive locally. to "mount" means to link your drives to a filesystem.

The first IDE drive in Linux is always identifies as /dev/hda and the second as /dev/hdb

If the first drive has two partition, then the first partitition will be /dev/hda1 and the second (if there's a second) /dev/hda2 (and so on..)

Let's asume you have movies in the first partition of the first disk and you want to access your movies through the /storage/Movies filesystem entry.

First you have to create the /storage/Movies directory in your local installation disk

and then issue the command "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /storage/Movies" (assuming the partition is formated with ntfs)

this way you can find your movies inside openelec in the /storage/Movies "directory" (should appear magically in your list)

If you want to make this permanent, you should add this configuration to the /etc/fstab file (you can find the fstab format in internet, but it's quite straightforward)

That's how I would do that in Linux... I would asume that Openelec would do that in the same way (if not, I hope that someone corrects me) Smile

in my case, it was sdc1:

when i try your command it says:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /storage/movies
Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.
mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /storage/movies failed: No such file or directory

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - deibit - 05-10-2012

Then it's maybe already mounted Wink

Do a "mount -l" and/or a "cat /etc/fstab"

The first command should list all drives that are already mounted and the second command should list all devices that are mounted at boot time

By the way "storage/Movies" should exist before you mount it. So first you should create the directory "mkdir /storage" "cd storage" "mkdir Movies" Smile

deibit post=33710 Wrote:Then it's maybe already mounted Wink

Do a "mount -l" and/or a "cat /etc/fstab"

The first command should list all drives that are already mounted and the second command should list all devices that are mounted at boot time

By the way "storage/Movies" should exist before you mount it. So first you should create the directory "mkdir /storage" "cd storage" "mkdir Movies" Smile

Yes it's allready mounted, so i have to unmount it first using umount commnand?

Re: My humble opinion about OPENELEC - deibit - 05-11-2012

if it's already mounted then it's mounted Smile (I mean you don't need to ummount and mount it again)

it should be already visible from Openelec, you just need to know "where" it's mounted. I'm sure that Openelec has some conventions on where the local drives are mounted, but as I said I'm not familiat with it.

But you can check it by yourself... can you do a "cat /etc/fstab"?

There you should have all devices that are mounted at boot time and (most important) where it's mounted.