OpenELEC Forum
Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) (/showthread.php?tid=39728)

Pages: 1 2 3

[SOLVED] Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-07-2012

Hi All,

OK, So I have a little problem. I can't seem to get audio working in a proper way on my NetTop Sad

Facts:
NetTop: Foxconn nT-A3500
Mem: 4 GB 1333MHz CL9 (Kingston)
Disk: 80 GB Sata 2,5"
Receiver: Sony STR-3360S AV Receiver
TV: Philips 42PFL7404

I have tried different solutions posted here and on the wiki but no real solution as yet.

I have installed the system using my computer monitor over HDMI. Picture and sound are working although the sound quality is horrible due to the speakers in my monitor. The audio settings were:
Audio Output Device = HDMI
Passthrough Output Device=HDMI

Then I moved the box to my TV and connected it via HDMI to my receiver. The receiver is connected to the TV over HDMI. I changed no settings.
I did not get any sound at all. Played movies, TV shows, music but all failed to produce sound.

After some reading I came to the wiki page (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_sound_foxconn_nta3500) that should have helped. Created the asound.conf file and rebooted. Settings chenged in XBMC to:
Audio Output Device = custom - pcm.triple
Passthrough Output Device= custom - pcm.triple
Rebooted and got sound. But unfortunately only over my TV speakers and in a very poor quality. It sounded like a 50's radio

Then I tried this asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
# pcm "hw:1,0" #delete the first hash for sound over analog
# pcm "hw:1,1" #delete the first hash for sound over optical
pcm "hw:0,3" #delete the first hash for sound over hdmi
rate 48000
}
}

With these settings:
Audio Output Device = custom - plughw:0,3
Passthrough Output Device= custom - plughw:0,3

Rebooted

Unfortunately without success

Finally I copied the sample file
Code:
asound.conf_double-xs35gt.sample
to asound.conf and changed the settings to:
Audio Output Device = custom - plughw:1,7
Passthrough Output Device= custom - plughw:1,7

Still nothing.

So I installed the 1.95.5 version released today. Same issues.

I am lost. Please Help!!!!

I have added the output of "aplay -l" to this post in the hope that it might help.

Thanks in advance!

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Code:
me@pc ~ $ ssh -l root 192.168.16.10
##############################################
# OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone #
# ...... visit http://www.openelec.tv ...... #
##############################################

OpenELEC Version: 1.95.4
root@192.168.16.10's password:
root ~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
root ~ #

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-07-2012

Little additional info:

If i directly connect my NetTop to my TV and set all outputs to hdmi, everything works fine. Well ......apart from te fact that it only works in 2.0 :S

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Sent using tapatalk

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - lrusak - 07-07-2012

Sjonnie post=39752 Wrote:Little additional info:

If i directly connect my NetTop to my TV and set all outputs to hdmi, everything works fine. Well ......apart from te fact that it only works in 2.0 :S

this doesn't really make sense, if it outputs to your tv it should output to your receiver. have you checked your reciever settings?

looking at your aplay you'll want to use, plughw:0,3

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-08-2012

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Will try them asap.

Greetz,
Sjonnie

Sent using Tapatalk

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-08-2012

Hi,

I connected the Foxconn to the HDMI port on which my BD player normally is. I know for sure that port works since a have used my BD player recently.

Rebooted without making further changes (you never know Smile )

Changed settings to:
custom - plughw:1,3
and rebooted. No luck of course

Changed the asound.conf to this:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
# pcm "hw:1,0" #delete the first hash for sound over analog
# pcm "hw:1,1" #delete the first hash for sound over optical
pcm "hw:0,3" #delete the first hash for sound over hdmi
rate 48000
}
}

and rebooted. No luck. Turned of the Foxconn and removed the psu from it socket for 30 odd seconds. Restarted but no luck.

I am a little bit out of options. Yesterday I even tried XBMCBuntu but that has the same effect (aka no sound).

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Wortelstok - 07-08-2012

I have the same problem! It started occurring with the new beta.

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - lrusak - 07-08-2012

Sjonnie post=39823 Wrote:Changed settings to:

I said plughw:0,3

also, try following this
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HDMI_Audio_-_The_Easy_Way

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Wortelstok - 07-08-2012

I tried most of what you did (plughw:0,3 was the last).
Previousely it worked, but strangely today suddenly no audio anymore, I thought after a reboot which updated the firmware but I am not completely sure.

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-09-2012

lrusak post=39901 Wrote:
Sjonnie post=39823 Wrote:Changed settings to:

I said plughw:0,3

also, try following this
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=HDMI_Audio_-_The_Easy_Way

Hi lrusak,

I am sorry....typo. I did use plughw:0,3.:S

I will try the suggestions in the link as soon as my NetTop is finished indexing my TV Shows. Will keep you posted though.

Thanks for your support! Much appreciated.

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Re: Foxconn nT-A3500 - No sound over HDMI through Sony Receiver (works on monitor though) - Sjonnie - 07-09-2012

Wortelstok post=39910 Wrote:I tried most of what you did (plughw:0,3 was the last).
Previousely it worked, but strangely today suddenly no audio anymore, I thought after a reboot which updated the firmware but I am not completely sure.

Hi Wortelstok,

So you dared to update the firmware? I have read a number of bad experiences update to the latest firmaware so I am curious as to how you went about. Can you ellaborate?

Greetz,

Sjonnie