OpenELEC Forum
Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) (/showthread.php?tid=41265)

Pages: 1 2

Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - jerry80 - 07-20-2012

I connected Zotac AD10's display port to my TV's HDMI port using a DP<->HDMI cable.
Video shows up fine. But no audio. Zotac's HDIM to TV's HDMI hook up works fine for
both Video and Audio.

Is it possble to send audio thru Display Port at all ?
If possible, what is the necessary setup ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - lrusak - 07-20-2012

I believe display port has the ability to carry audio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

you can try checking the output of the command
Code:
aplay -l
to see if it it shows up as an available output.

Why bother if it works fine with HDMI though?

Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - jerry80 - 07-20-2012

I basically want to connect both my AV receiver and TV simultaneously.
Sometimes watch progam with TV audio (Amp off) and with amplifier on for the other times. ^^

Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - lrusak - 07-20-2012

Ah, not really possible as you can't output audio through two devices simultaneously. Yes of course you can switch back and forth between outputs but this requires a reboot and that is rather tedious.

You may just want to run straight to the tv and run a return channel back to the receiver. Or you can use an HDMI switch

Anyways if you want to try, you will have to SSH into your machine and list the output of
Code:
aplay -l

Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - nikolaoscy - 09-10-2014

i have the same setup as jerry and also the same problem .Afet doing the command i get this

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: CX20561 Analog [CX20561 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: CX20561 Digital [CX20561 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - Borut - 09-10-2014

Check if your AV receiver has HDMI pass through option. It basically means that signal goes through AV receiver to TV in standby mode.

Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - nikolaoscy - 09-11-2014

That means that audio will be output by TV? If yes what if I want it on my surround speakers ?

Re:Re: Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - Gaudi - 09-11-2014

nikolaoscy post=116774 Wrote:That means that audio will be output by TV? If yes what if I want it on my surround speakers ?
My receiver has pass through audio. If it is off sound comes out from tv, if it is on, sound comes from receiver.
Need to check your config and manuals.

Re:Re: Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - lrusak - 09-11-2014

Gaudi post=116786 Wrote:
nikolaoscy post=116774 Wrote:That means that audio will be output by TV? If yes what if I want it on my surround speakers ?
My receiver has pass through audio. If it is off sound comes out from tv, if it is on, sound comes from receiver.
Need to check your config and manuals.

Mine has the option to do this too, typically it will only passthrough one signal (it can be changed in the configs) so make a note of which input the AVR is using and change the option in the AVR menu to use that.

Re: Is it possible to send Audio thru Display Port (Zotac AD10) - Borut - 09-11-2014

As others before me have said. B) Pass through option was designed specifically for occasions such as yours - you want sound from output device when AVR is turned off. As soon as you turn on AVR, sound comes from AVR. Now the only question is whether your AVR supports this option. Most newer AVR's do.