OpenELEC Forum
Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: STORAGE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup (/showthread.php?tid=45135)

Pages: 1 2

Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 08-31-2012

As stated in the subject:

My OpenELEC-based HTPC has to HDs. One for the system (SSD) and one for all the media stuff. This setup has been this way since the first installation of OE.

Since a few days my OpenELEC-based HTPC always detects it's internal HD at startup as "new media detected" and prompts the user how to browse it. Which is very annoying, as it disturbs the "workflow" when using a media PC.

How can I get rid of the constant re-discovery of my internal HD?

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - lrusak - 08-31-2012

Seems odd as I don't recall it prompting the user what to do. Usually it will just say drive is mounted.

does it mount in the same location everytime?

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 08-31-2012

Should always be the same location, because the hd also contains (without problems) my complete media collection and the database works fine.

Prompt is like "new media detected, would you like to browse videos, music... files". I get the same popup for removable media (CD etc.) connected to OpenELEC.

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 09-03-2012

* push *

It's really annoying (and extremly bad for the woman's accaptance factor) that OpenELEC on every start prompts the user with what to do with the internal hdd....

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - musicmaya - 09-14-2012

LennyX post=45422 Wrote:* push *

It's really annoying (and extremly bad for the woman's accaptance factor) that OpenELEC on every start prompts the user with what to do with the internal hdd....

i am also facing same problem.

any inputs

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 09-15-2012

So I'm not the only one...
Is there really no workaround, e.g. a special setting that excludes a certain media UUID from the "new media detected" dialogue, or something like that? There is an option to manually define udev-rules, but I have no idea where to start. The rule should go "mount drive with UUID xyz automatically, but do not pester the user with any more popup windows".

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 09-16-2012

I tried the script given in this link. Did not help. Obviously, the internal hdd is already mounted by the time autostart.sh is executed, the problem is with XBMC not respecting this fact.

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 09-18-2012

Searching the net I found out that my hdd (Samsung SpinPoint F2) is known to make a rattling calibration run on startup and then in regular intervals. This can make the drive inaccessible for some seconds at boot in some configurations, according to Google.
My theory: This leads to OE detecting the drive - but too late, considering it a removable drive plugged in only after boot. I think I'll swap the drive and see if that fixes my problem.

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - chewitt - 09-18-2012

pastebin 'dmesg' output pls, share the URL here

Re: Internal HD always detected as "new media" on startup - LennyX - 09-20-2012

Excerpts from 06_varlog.log: Only in line 96 the drive is finally mounted, only then vdr is able to start up at 17:29:21.
01_XBMC.log: See line 99 for a (preliminary) failure to access one of the drawers of my video library during startup. This failure is slightly earlier than 17:29:21, which means that at this time the drive was not yet mounted - all other drawers of my media library seem to get accessed only afterwards.

To me it seems like a problem of the hdd taking microseconds to long to get properly recognized during OE startup.