OpenELEC Forum
Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash (new Video Card new OpenELEC install, still a problem) - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: MISCELLANEOUS (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash (new Video Card new OpenELEC install, still a problem) (/showthread.php?tid=46510)

Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash (new Video Card new OpenELEC install, still a problem) - acpowell - 09-13-2012

I am running the latest generic build of OpenELEC. I was using the onboard video card but installed a HIS 5770 because I was having 1080p video playback issues. Those are gone (loud fan aside) but now the gui crashes all the time. I normally run AEON NOX. What will happen is the machine boots then I see the wait circle then an X and back and for until eventually it just boots into Confluence and ALL my custom settings are gone.

Should I reload this, would an upgrade of the same version or lower version help or is there somthing else I should be doing. I really want 1080p play back but I hate this thing crashing all the time to the point where I somtimes need to hardboot it. I don't feel like replacing my HDD. Please help I am desperate.

My system config:

720be CPU
4GB 1600 memory
HIS 5770 1 GB GDDR5
Video files stored on another computer using SMB in XBMC
1 GB Lan between, but i am not sure of the throughput
OpenELEC v1.95.7 (might be .6 but pretty sure its .7 not sure how to tell)

Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash - lrusak - 09-14-2012

Are you using the generic build?

Re: Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash - acpowell - 09-14-2012

I believe I was using the CSS generic. I got impantent and ended up backung up my DB then reloading the Generic without the opensource drivers. Works much better. Although it would of been nice to not have to reload. The only issue I have now is I believe a Skin issue with AEON NOX. The random background for movie and TVshow won't work.

Re: Hardware upgrade makes GUI crash (new Video Card new OpenELEC install, still a problem) - acpowell - 09-17-2012

okay, so here is what is going on now. I Origonally installed this HIS 5770 that sounds like a jet plane into my XBMC machine so that I could play 1080p Videos with no skipping. I have accomplished that goal but at a cost. I have now lost the ability to WOL successfully and parts of the AEON NOX Skin don't work anymore.

I am using a PSU that is 480 Watts, but doesn't have a 6 pin video card connector (used the dual molex to 6 pin adapter) and I think it was causing some issues. I reloaded OpenELEC 2.0 PVR (Beta 7) Generic rather than the non-PVR because it seems to give me fits, thinking that it was software and that hasn't fixed the issue. SO yesterday I went out and purchased a new XFX 5450 Graphics card with a Passive heatsink instead of the loud fan and it seems to "run better" but WOL still isn't working and AEON NOX still has parts that don't work.

I esentially went from a 100% working machine to a machine that only seems to work when it wants to. I am desperate to get this fixed and could use any and all help.

Oh as an FYI: I am using XBMC commander (the full ipad/iphone version) for WOL and it used to work flawlessly from both standby and powered down states.

thanks for all the help!

As a side note, when I use WOL, the machine powers on, but never completly boots into XBMC, I seen the OpenELEC splash screen then nothing past that. If I power cycle a couple times it will then boot.