OpenELEC Forum
No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" (/showthread.php?tid=51622)

No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - andrew510 - 10-27-2012

Hey Everybody:

I've been using OpenELEC for a while now, it's a fantastic OS!!, but this is my first time on the forum.

I recently upgraded a system to OpenELEC 2.0.0 so as to integrate a system into a new PVR Setup. OpenELEC is working perfectly, however, there is no audio output at all!

I've spent the last few hours googling, with no success so far! I have tried various options under Custom in the XBMC Settings and have tried switching between Analogue and HDMI. As it stands at the moment, there has been absolutely no audio output. The card is listed under Lspci as "00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)", however, aplay -l shows no Soundcards.

I hope someone can help as I'm totally stomped with this!

Thanks in advance! :-)

Andrew

Re: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - Sjonnie - 10-28-2012

Hi Andrew,

Sometimes you need a file called asound.conf to get things working. Can you tell us more about your hardware to see if we can find a asound.conf that works.

Do you have a back-up from a previous version. Reading your post I figure you have had sound previously. Can you compare the systems? Did you make changes to files and are you able to copy these files to your new install?

I had an issue with sound at the beginning. I configured my OE box on a computer monitor. Sound was working perfectly. Then I connected my box to my receiver (see sig) and no sound at all. Turns out the HDMI handshake between box and receiver did not work. Connected the box with optical and after some fiddling with the settings I had sound again. Have you tested with another TV or monitor to check if you have sound then?

HTH

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Re: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - andrew510 - 10-28-2012

Hi Sjonnie:

Thanks for your reply! I did indeed have the sound working on an earlier build of OpenELEC running XBMC Eden, however, in this case, absolutely no extra configuration was required. In this case, I merely configured the XBMC Audio Settings as Defaults (ALSA) and all worked perfectly!

The machine in question is a relatively basic laptop running an Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU along with Intel integrated graphics and Intel HD Audio (as shown by Lspci). The machine's audio is connected via the Analogue Out.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Andrew.

Re: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - Sjonnie - 10-28-2012

Hi Andrew,

Do you have access to the previous installation (aka back-up)? If not, is it possible to re-install the previous version, compare it with this install? While you are at it, please create a back-up Wink

And for the more experienced users (not me) could you post a debug log?

We'll get there Smile

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Re: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - andrew510 - 10-28-2012

Hi Sjonnie:

Thanks again for your reply!

I've just downgraded the system to another OpenELEC Image (1.9.9.1, a build from http://packages.pulse-eight.net/ that includes PVR) and the audio is now working perfectly! aplay -l is once again showing the soundcard again, the output is now:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
Subdevices: 1/1

in the latest build, aplay -l simply said No Soundcard.

This version is working entirely fine :-) however, it'd definitely be very interesting to know why the soundcard isn't recognised in the latest build!

Thanks very much!
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Seems like you have run in to a bug.

Please report your issue here: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues

Let's see if the devs can fix your issue.

'Till that time I'd suggest sticking with 1.9.9.1. As far as I am concerned nothing has changed much from the user experience side of things (except PVR of course Wink )

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Re: No Audio on OpenELEC v2 and aplay -l "No Soundcards Found" - garoto - 10-19-2016

Hi Andrew,

I know this post by you is really old but I'm having the same issue you post about right now. Were you able to solve it. If yes, can you share the solution with me please?

Thanks in advance.