OpenELEC Forum
Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? (/showthread.php?tid=51829)

Pages: 1 2

Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - darkzun - 10-29-2012

I've read a couple of long threads regarding this issue, and understod (if I understod right) that the openelec 2.0 can do bitstreaming with Nvidia GPU. Does it matter which Nvidia card and driver (newest), as long as the HW supports bitstreaming? I guess the licensing issue won't be solved in the near future between ATI and the Linux platform(?).
In one of the threads it was alot of talk of spesific nvidia drivers, but I guess that's because it was beta and self-compiled versions. The GT 430 cards that were suggested doesn't exist anymore (in my "local" webshop), so that's why I want the GT 630.

My english is a bit bad, but it's not my main languageWink

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - chewitt - 10-29-2012

Almost correct Smile

OpenELEC 2.0 is based on XBMC 11.0 'Eden' which *DOES NOT* support the newer HD audio formats (aka bitsreaming). At one point it was possible to back-port the Audio Engine code from older alpha versions of XBMC 12.0 'Frodo' to add support, and some users were creating custom OE builds with AE code. Once XBMC merged Audio Engine into the main Frodo development branch it became technically infeasible to continue back-porting so these users switched to making 'Frodo Alpha' builds. These are available (unsupported) from a thread in these forums. Since Frodo is in the ALPHA stage of development, and openelec-master often runs beta or "only just released and not tested fully" nVidia drivers you will see users commenting on specific versions that cause (or avoid) specific problems.

OpenELEC 3.0 will be based around XBMC 12.0 which will support the HD audio formats *AS LONG AS THE HARDWARE SUPPORTS THEM* ..currently nVidia are the only safe GPUs for this.

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - darkzun - 10-29-2012

Ok, thanks :cheer: I'm running Frodo on a Win server today without any bit streaming problems and should probably continue doing that until Openelec fully supports this. Tested Openelec 2.0 last week, and it worked perfectly. Hurts going back to the windows platform, since I love the embedded solution! Think it's time to donate to both xbmc and openelecSmile

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - MasZakrY - 10-30-2012

I don't understand how bitstreaming cannot be supported. Currently the only officially supported commercial device, the Xtreamer Ultra 2 does support bitstreaming. How can one current build of openelec support bitstreaming while all others are left waiting for version 3?

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - chewitt - 10-30-2012

The Ultra2 *hardware* supports it and if you run windows you can have bitsreaming. If you run OpenELEC which is dependent on XBMC, the software does not yet support bitstreaming until XBMC ships 12.0/Frodo. It is probably in the small-print of their website somewhere, maybe..

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - RogerS - 10-30-2012

After reading on the Phoronix website that AMD has laid off three Linux developers I hardly believe that HD audio bitstreaming and multi channel PCM will be ever supported by the AMD closed source linux video driver. So I just ordered an Asus GeForce GT610 SILENT,1GB. (In NL less than 40 euro including shipping)
I intend to install it on on my passively cooled AMD E450 system and switching of the onboard video.

Just two questions:
Is the "Generic Build" the best choice for this setup?
How can I do a clean OpenElec install while keeping my user video's on the harddrive?

I'll report my succes, with nightly builds, of bitstreaming HD audio and multi channel PCM...

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - MasZakrY - 10-30-2012

Thanks for the reply. I have two questions. Can I still play DTS/AC3 encoded movies with my A6-3500 (will DTS be passed through or is the problem only with DTSMA/TrueHD) and secondly, if I bought a GT520 would it make any difference with bitstreaming?

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - RogerS - 10-30-2012

MasZakrY post=52004 Wrote:Can I still play DTS/AC3 encoded movies with my A6-3500 (will DTS be passed through or is the problem only with DTSMA/TrueHD)
Bitstreaming of DTS and AC3 is not a problem and is currently already supported by OpenElec 2.0
I think even video's with DTS-MA audio the DTS-core part, equals original DTS, can be bitstreamed.

Please note: on my AMD E450 I can better use SPDIF than using HDMI for my audio. SPDIF supports high bitrate (88.2 KHz or 96 KHz) stereo FLAC files, via HDMI it is downsampled to 48 KHz...

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - lrusak - 10-30-2012

RogerS post=51993 Wrote:Just two questions:
Is the "Generic Build" the best choice for this setup?
How can I do a clean OpenElec install while keeping my user video's on the harddrive?

Yes, use the Generic build and Just use the normal update method

Re: Changing from ATI GPU to NVIDIA to bitstream in Openelec (DTS HD-MA etc.) Will GT 630 do the job? - RogerS - 10-31-2012

Succes. Smile

I installed the Asus Geforce GT610 Silent video card and connected the HDMI cabled.
Booted the system, of course there was no image due to the Fusion.
Copied from my desktop PC the Image and Kernel files (latest nightly Generic build) to the update folder and restarted the HTPC.
It updated automatically and I just needed to adjust the audio output.

Result:
Playing of DTS-MA and multi channel PCM files Smile
Suspend mode now works Smile
Better image quality due to correct black levels! Smile

Is it already 100% perfect? Unfortunately not; Due to the use of a nightly build, needed for Audioengine, XBMC Frodo is being used and one plugin (XOT-UZG "uitzendinggmist") does not yet work. But I can wait for that, HD-audio is much more important to me..

Now I need to fulfill a personal promise I made and that is: "make a second donation to OpenElec if HD-audio is working...". I will do it immediately.