OpenELEC Forum
Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: PVR + LIVE TV (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi (/showthread.php?tid=53572)

Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - spmcewen - 11-12-2012

Does anyone know which of these will perform PVR features better? I have the original Apple TV that I have been thinking about doing the CrystalHD upgrade on, but first want to know if it will be fast enough to use the PVR functions to watch/pause/playback live ATSC HD over the air broadcasts?.

If not then how about the raspberry pi?

Lastly, how about channel change speeds? In the past my hauppauge 950q tuners have seemed quite slow changing channels, but I never have figured out if that's a hardware problem or driver issue.

Thanks!

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - chewitt - 11-12-2012

As much as I love AppleTV boxes and Raspberry Pi cards my honest advice would be to save pennies and buy a real HTPC box that has 8x the RAM and 20x the CPU power. Features like PVR (which is incomplete on RPi) are only going to get more complex over time, and complexity requires CPU cycles.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - danielcbit - 11-24-2012

Sorry, but I totally disagree.

Apple TV (with Broadcom CrystalHD) and RaspberryPi have plenty of power for running as a setup box for digital tv. Many comercial setup boxes from tv companies have even lower power than these two and run very well.
What must be done is optimization and bug fixes in PVR functionality in XBMC. For instance, until now XBMC in Apple tv has problems to user Broadcom card to play live streams from tvheadend.
And for what I'm seeing in forums and playing with my apple tv and my raspberry, OpenElec is getting close to have a very good thing in latest dev versions.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - natomasboy - 12-24-2012

I have OpenElec 3.0 Beta (2.95.6) running on Rasperberry PI Model B (512MB with 2 USB ports and 1 100MB LAN interface) which runs PVR functionality perfectly. I have it working with MythTV 0.25 backend and all recorded shows, channel changing, EPG *just works*

The bonus for me is rPI has built-in CEC adapter so my Samsung TV remote will control XBMC.

*just works* does not mean that channel changing will be blazing fast. In fact changing HD channels takes about 5 seconds for the buffer to load and display the H264 stream in my setup.

MythTV has never been a fast channel changing STB for me so this is well within my tolerance.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - ktk - 12-26-2012

natomasboy post=58539 Wrote:I have OpenElec 3.0 Beta (2.95.6) running on Rasperberry PI Model B (512MB with 2 USB ports and 1 100MB LAN interface) which runs PVR functionality perfectly. I have it working with MythTV 0.25 backend and all recorded shows, channel changing, EPG *just works*

Interesting I use TVHeadend for my Hauppage DVB-T card and it looks like HW-acceleration is not working like this, see my posting in the RPi forum.

I tried switching to MythTV but this refuses to start for reasons I cannot figure out, constantly says that it cannot connect to it.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - danielcbit - 12-26-2012

Thats great!

For what I've seen, some backends work better than others and for better I mean that they send the live tv stream with all the informations and in the right format needed for decoding it correctly under XBMC.
I'll try to setup MythTV again to see if it works that way. Last time had troubles to make it work with ISDB-T (The Brazilian Digital TV Spec).

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - natomasboy - 12-26-2012

I suspect it may be a mythtvbackend config issue. Make sure you set your MythtvBackend ip addresses both local and master to something other than 127.0.0.1. Check the ports 6543 to match up as well. Check the .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log and see what errors you get.

FWIW, I **was** running a mythtvbackend 0.25 with 4 IPTV M3U streams using the FreeBox software tuner. HD is recorded in H264 while SD is recorded in MPEG2. I had to purchase the rPi MPEG2 license for $3 to enable MPEG2 decoding.

I have 3 frontends (AMD E350, Atom ION 330, and Intel CrystalHD) that all had success with tvheadend backends using IPTV.

For the new year I've **switched** from IPTV cable to OTA HDTV. Our family is trying to save money so OTA with mythtvbackend 0.25 using a Haupauge 950Q usb tuner works well.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - danielcbit - 12-26-2012

All the content you watched was recorded or live tv? If it live, is it streamed in H264 or in MPEG2?
Thanks.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - natomasboy - 12-26-2012

MPEG2 (standard def) or H264 (high def) playback in live or recorded without issue. The word *issue* is subjective. I have to wait 5 seconds for the buffer to load before watching live tv or recorded tv, but once playing pause, forward, rewind works.

Re: Openelec PVR on Apple TV 1 (CrystalHD) versus Raspberry Pi - davea0511 - 02-09-2013

natomasboy post=58709 Wrote:For the new year I've **switched** from IPTV cable to OTA HDTV. Our family is trying to save money so OTA with mythtvbackend 0.25 using a Haupauge 950Q usb tuner works well.
I have the same tuner and have been wanting to use RPi as a backend (and another RPi as a front end or do both frontend and backend in the same RPi), but all other posts about 950Q tuner and RPi that I've read (searched via google) were unsuccesful at getting the 950Q to work with RPi.

Can you tell me a bit about what you're using ... which software (and versions) ... and where you got and put the drivers, or anything else that might help? It would be immensely helpful. Keep in mind I'm a total hack at linux (though I've done a number of linux projects I'm still a hack and not a great one). I'd also like to document the process for others too once I get it working right.