OpenELEC Forum
GT610 a good option? - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Website (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: SUPPORTED HARDWARE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: GT610 a good option? (/showthread.php?tid=62637)

GT610 a good option? - hvb83 - 02-23-2013

I'm currently running a A6-3500 box on Windows, but I have a few minor annoyances. The biggest one being that because it's not an appliance, losing focus when awaking, etc. Anyway, I came from Boxee and was basically happy with that (except for having to miss out on HD audio), I now find that my HTPC still requires more attention.

So now that OpenELEC seems to have evolved in a nice way and supporting HD audio, I'm considering coming back again. The only problem of course being, that I cannot get HD-audio with my hardware. For that I'm planning on buying a separate GPU-card. It has to be a passive version, since the rest of my system is totally fanless too. Also it should not be a very energy consuming device, while still being able to play all video-formats and do the most common processing-options on them that XBMC has to offer.

So I'm thinking about buying a GT610. Is that a good option, or will I have trouble playing certain files now or in the near future?

GT610 a good option? - RogerS - 02-23-2013

I have a system with a passive cooled mini-ITX mainboard based on an AMD E450 APU. Unfortunately the AMD linux drivers don't support HD audio via HDMI. Therefor I added a passive cooled NVIDIA GT610 and this solved my HD audio problem. Also I noticed that the image quality on my LCD tv was better.
From my experience I can wholeheartedly recommend a NVIDIA GT610.

GT610 a good option? - hvb83 - 02-25-2013

Ok thanks, I just went out and bought one. Let's see if this solves my problems and lets me enjoy my HTPC experience even better than my previous Boxee. B)

GT610 a good option? - escalade - 02-25-2013

The GT610 is basically a rebranded GT520m. It's great for playing video, but OpenGL performance is rather poor. You will notice some lag in XBMC gui.

GT610 a good option? - hvb83 - 02-25-2013

Ok we'll see. If I'm really not satisfied with the performance in comparison to my A6-3500 APU, is it possible to have the video running through the APU and the sound-signal being produced simultaneously by the GT610?

GT610 a good option? - RogerS - 02-25-2013

escalade post=64814 Wrote:The GT610 is basically a rebranded GT520m. It's great for playing video, but OpenGL performance is rather poor. You will notice some lag in XBMC gui.

On my system with AEON NOX skin just runs fine.

The biggest advantage I found was that I could find a passive cooled 610 rather cheap and the power needs were rather modest.

GT610 a good option? - zorprime - 03-11-2013

I have the GT430 with openelec Generic i386 Version:2.99.4 (3.0 RC 4) Aeon nox this is the best EVER. I test lots of hadware i3, amd, ion. nothing come close also has extra option noice reduction and shapnes crazy good. the worst is intell not fully supported by openelec but best hardware perhaps in the future. amd sound to good to be true and it is. If amd team helps out with the video driver but unlikely.