OpenELEC Forum
TVheadend + HDHomeRun on second NIC with static IP - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: PVR + LIVE TV (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: TVheadend + HDHomeRun on second NIC with static IP (/showthread.php?tid=62795)

Pages: 1 2 3

TVheadend + HDHomeRun on second NIC with static IP - antamone - 03-02-2013

Should it be possible to use an HDHomeRun Dual tuner connected directly to a network adapter on an OpenELEC system running the Tvheadend backend? According to the MythTV site this should be possible using a MythTV backend, but I'm using Tvheadend. So far I have been unsuccessful trying to get it to work.

I'm running the OpenELEC 64-bit Intel 2.99 RC3 release. I have enabled the HDHomeRun dvbhdhomerun add-on, and configured it with the HDHomeRun's Device ID.

I have enabled the Tvheadend backend and frontend add-ons. The computer is connected to the network via an Ethernet cable connected to the motherboard's onboard NIC. The HDHomeRun Dual tuner is connected to the computer via a TRENDnet TU2-ET100 10/100Mbps USB 2.0 network adapter (an adapter I saw mentioned by another poster in this forum).

I would assume OpenELEC is using the first network connection in the OpenELEC settings module for network access, and I configured that connection accordingly. I do have LAN and Internet access to and from the OpenELEC box, as I can connect to it over the LAN and OpenELEC is able to pull down add-ons. I set up the second network connection in the OpenELEC settings module as closely as possible to the MythTV guide for using an HDHomeRun tuner directly connected with a static IP.

Here's the thing. I have an existing HDHomeRun tuner on the LAN (which I don't want to use with this OpenELEC box). The Tvheadend backend seemed to see this tuner, until I disabled that tuner's Device ID in the dvbhdhomerun add-on config. I of course also added the Device ID of the HDHomeRun Dual tuner directly connected to the OpenELEC system to the appropriate section in the dvbhdhomerun add-on's config file, but the Tvheadend backend doesn't detect this tuner.

I'm not sure where to go at this point, and would appreciate any ideas anyone might have as to what I might try next.

OpenELEC system specs (currently running OpenELEC 64-bit Intel 2.99 RC3 release):

Gigabyte H61N-USB3 motherboard
Intel Core i3-3225 CPU
8GB Kingston DDR3-1600 HyperX RAM
80GB Intel X25M SSD
1TB 5400RPM Hitachi HDD
Antec ISK 110 VESA case with PSU
HDHomeRun Dual HDHR3-US
TRENDnet TU2-ET100 10/100Mbps USB 2.0 network adapter

TVheadend + HDHomeRun on second NIC with static IP - ultraman - 03-02-2013

Start with some log files
Code:
ifconfig -a | paste
paste /var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log
paste /var/log/messages
and then we will see how to proceed.

Btw: with latest addon 3.0.2 you don't need to manually edit config file anymore - everything can be set from hdhomerun addon settings.

Thanks ultraman! Here are the logs.

/var/log/dvbhdhomerun log: http://pastebin.com/pBB7rMSj

/var/log/messages log: http://pastebin.com/vqS4yLhs

You forgot to post ifconfig log.
As you can see no hdhomerun devices was found.

Here is the output of ifconfig (didn't see it in your post until after I posted the first logs): http://pastebin.com/srmsW2Ud

Fix your subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. Maybe this would help.
After reboot check /var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log. If doesn't work try to increase Pre wait time in hdhomerun addon settings from 2 sec to 10 for example. Just for test.

ultraman post=65360 Wrote:Btw: with latest addon 3.0.2 you don't need to manually edit config file anymore - everything can be set from hdhomerun addon settings.
Really? In mine (v3.0.2) I see General with "Pre wait time [sec]" and "Post wait time [sec]," and Tuner settings with "Enable modifying settings" and "Refresh... ." Is there supposed to be a way to add and configure tuner Device ID's in the add-on's interface?

I though this "Refresh... ." would be self explanatory Wink When you select it and confirm with pressing OK/ENTER on remote it will scan for devices and show them. But only if devices are visible.

Seems I have to change this to ""Refresh... [Press ENTER for action].

ultraman post=65369 Wrote:Fix your subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. Maybe this would help.
After reboot check /var/log/dvbhdhomerun.log. If doesn't work try to increase Pre wait time in hdhomerun addon settings from 2 sec to 10 for example. Just for test.
Could I do this just for eth1 in OpenELEC's settings.xml? LAN and Internet connectivity seems to be working okay on eth0, and I'd rather not make changes as I had issues earlier.

If I can add it to the settings.xml file, would the parameter be called NET2_NETMASK? That would seem to be logical, but I don't see any parameter that would seem related to netmask for either interface in the file right now so I just want to be sure.

ultraman post=65372 Wrote:I though this "Refresh... ." would be self explanatory Wink When you select it and confirm with pressing OK/ENTER on remote it will scan for devices and show them. But only if devices are visible.

Seems I have to change this to ""Refresh... [Press ENTER for action].
Ohhh, I got it now, thanks. I did understand it was clickable/pressable, just not what exactly it was supposed to refresh. Maybe "Refresh tuners..." or "Refresh devices..." would make it clearer for dense heads like mine. Wink