OpenELEC Forum
Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Website (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Forum: SUPPORTED HARDWARE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+--- Thread: Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) (/showthread.php?tid=67662)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - 0ldfart - 11-11-2013

I got my box by courier yesterday, so about 1 week to Australia from time it was paid for.

Got it home and there was constant noise through audio out jack - occurred at bios as well as in software so a hardware issue, not caused by software.

I am emailing Melissa today to arrange RMA. A bit disappointing. Sad

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - bircoe - 11-11-2013

That's a bummer... I've not tested the audio out on mine, I'll do so when I get home tonight and let you know...

PS I'm an Aussie too Smile

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - 0ldfart - 11-12-2013

Tried rear audio out last night, and its 'better' but there's still some kind of insulation issue and a significant buzzing noise thats too audible to use.

On the front port the noise is louder, and sounds like baud (the noise fax machines make when they handshake with another machine)

I emailed melissa and she said if I return it to them they will repair and re-dispatch to me, which is obviously a lot of messing about, and additional cost/time/etc.

I am going to look into using a USB sound card on it, but will have to do some googling to try and find a chipset that will play nice with linux.

If that doesnt work it will mean shelling out for a better quality power supply, as I think the buzzing noise on the rear port resembles the type of interference caused by crappy power input.

Its turning into a bit of a mission, I am afraid Sad

On the upside, its very capable in terms of speed and processing power :whistle:

Just to put all this in perspective, the Intel NUC is about $199 shipped here. Thats $50 on what it cost to get the Inctel unit from China, but probably without the quality control hassles.

In hindsight, that would likely have been a better way to go. Blush

--

C1037U
Inctel technology

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - bircoe - 11-13-2013

Don't forget you would have had to buy RAM and a Disk for the NUC... On that note I just sold my Celeron NUC to my boss with a 16GB Sandisk SSD and 4GB of RAM for $200.

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - 0ldfart - 11-13-2013

the version I bought came without RAM. HDD not required for OE.

I had RAM already and have plenty of USBs. My day job is computer repair business Smile

So, Inctel box @ $150ish, add RAM, add USB

OR

NUC @ $199, add RAM, add USB

Difference about $50. :: Should have got the NUC.

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - rgb62 - 11-13-2013

0ldfart post=91256 Wrote:Tried rear audio out last night, and its 'better' but there's still some kind of insulation issue and a significant buzzing noise thats too audible to use.

On the front port the noise is louder, and sounds like baud (the noise fax machines make when they handshake with another machine)

I emailed melissa and she said if I return it to them they will repair and re-dispatch to me, which is obviously a lot of messing about, and additional cost/time/etc.

I am going to look into using a USB sound card on it, but will have to do some googling to try and find a chipset that will play nice with linux.

If that doesnt work it will mean shelling out for a better quality power supply, as I think the buzzing noise on the rear port resembles the type of interference caused by crappy power input.

Its turning into a bit of a mission, I am afraid Sad

On the upside, its very capable in terms of speed and processing power :whistle:

Just to put all this in perspective, the Intel NUC is about $199 shipped here. Thats $50 on what it cost to get the Inctel unit from China, but probably without the quality control hassles.

In hindsight, that would likely have been a better way to go. Blush

--

C1037U
Inctel technology

Do you hear the same sound through HDMI?

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - 0ldfart - 11-13-2013

rgb62 post=91261 Wrote:Do you hear the same sound through HDMI?

No. However when we were using through HDMI the playback levels at the time were a bit lower. Didnt hear anything out of the ordinary though.

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - rgb62 - 11-14-2013

Very strange. I'm hoping it's a one-off issue, sorry you had to deal with that. Mine is set to arrive on Tuesday.. I have used this soundcard in Ubuntu, Mint and Openelec with no issues whatsoever http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KT80IO/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's going to cost you a whopping $5.00 though Wink

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - kjozsa - 11-15-2013

Hmmn very interesting piece of hardware - I'm especially sold on its passive cooling..

Talking of USB-CEC adapters, is the Pulse Eight one the only working option or they sell something doing the trick at aliexpress.com as well? For example this product: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-elbow-adapter-90-degree-elbow-angle-Male-to-Female-Down-version-1-4-hdmi-turning/1311982727.html also lists CEC as a feature but honestly I'm not sure what they might mean with that..

Review: Cheap Celeron 1037U Mini PC (IN-1037UA) - bircoe - 11-15-2013

0ldfart post=91256 Wrote:Tried rear audio out last night, and its 'better' but there's still some kind of insulation issue and a significant buzzing noise thats too audible to use.

Tested mine last night, there's no unwanted noise from either front or back, it does sound kind of average compared to other hardware I've got but it was Ok.

kjozsa post=91422 Wrote:For example this product: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-elbow-adapter-90-degree-elbow-angle-Male-to-Female-Down-version-1-4-hdmi-turning/1311982727.html also lists CEC as a feature but honestly I'm not sure what they might mean with that..

That is just a passive adapter it does nothing more than pass through the HDMI signal.