OpenELEC Forum
USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out (/showthread.php?tid=68097)

Pages: 1 2

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - the_bluester - 11-11-2013

Hi all, my first post on these forums and it is unfortunately a question. I tried searching using a couple of different terms but did not have much joy.

I am using an Intel NUC (Several in fact, all Ivy Birdge and a mix of Celeron and I3) as a HTPC with the current (As of writing this) version of Openelec, 4G of RAM and a 30G SSD with media streamed over GigE from a NAS. Everything is working smoothly and I am happy with the install, however I do have one question. We seldom use our AVR for movies due to having a young child in the house so cranking it up is not really an option for us very often. However I would like to get proper surround sound support back that was lost when we went to the NUC due to it not having optical audio out.

The AVR is old enough not to support HDMI input (Which I do not favour anyway as I prefer to have as little gear running as possible, needing to run an AVR just to be able to watch recorded TV or similar content through XBMC goes against that) so I am looking to use one of it's optical inputs. That of course leads to the bugbear on the industry ensuring that surround sound formats are not passed through from HDMI input to an optical output by a TV, instead being downmixed to 2.0 or 2.1.

If it is easy to set up and configure I was thinking of something like the USB sound card on the link below, which would mostly sit dormant with the audio set to analog in XBMC to prevent passthrough audio from taking the sound away from the TV unless we actually want it. Are people using these cards with Openelec, preferably with a NUC and were there any difficulties in setting them up and getting them working? These would also let me build another NUC for my shed (I like compact and hidden) to stream music and/or video without having to have a TV turned on to do it, though that might end up with a Windows build so it is a functional PC as well.

As I said, are people using these with Openelec and are they supported well?

http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - bircoe - 11-11-2013

I have the Creative XFi Stereo USB card and it works fine under Linux, it may be some messing around to get the correct output but it should be doable, if I get some time tonight I'll test it out and see what happens.

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - the_bluester - 11-12-2013

BAsed on that I should probably just go out and buy one and see what happens. But you know what it is like with the minister for finance if you just blow $50 and it does not work.

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - skinner84 - 11-24-2013

Hi Bluester,

Did you have any luck with USB Optical out?

I spent about 3 hours with Fritsch last night (thanks again) trying to get HDMI pass through working with my Panasonic TV, but no luck. I've decided I want to try and bypass the TV all together and feed audio to my Logitech Z-680 system. Only problem is it doesn't take HDMI, only Optical. At the moment i'm looking at getting one of these. This should work with OpenELEC right? And disadvantages with using this? WIll I lose out on codecs in any way? Thanks

Luke

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - the_bluester - 11-25-2013

I have not had a chance to look at it again myself. By my understanding it is an industry standard that HDMI audio can not be passed through as anything more than 2.1 stereo to another forumat.

Damn stupid if you ask me but there it is.

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - the_bluester - 12-06-2013

Just in case you are still watching this topic Luke, I got around to buying a USB sound card (one of these http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/40407-sbxfi-s51-pro ) and it simply plugged in and worked through the optical out. A bit of fiddling with audio settings and I have 5.1 sound through my receiver. I can also listen to music with the TV switched off again so problem solved.

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - skinner84 - 12-10-2013

Thanks Bluester.

My USB to Optical USB device arrived yesterday and worked beautifully. Just set it to passthrough and voila.

Luke

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - SmallwoodDR82 - 12-31-2013

skinner84 post=92927 Wrote:Thanks Bluester.

My USB to Optical USB device arrived yesterday and worked beautifully. Just set it to passthrough and voila.

Luke

skinner - what device did you end up going with? The turtle beach that you linked before?

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - skinner84 - 01-02-2014

Yep that's the one, very happy with it.

USB soundcard with TOSLink optical out - SmallwoodDR82 - 01-07-2014

skinner - So I got one and it is plug n play!

Do you get full audio through it?

Some reason my sound bar is only seeing 2.0 from it. Can you confirm what you are receiving from it?

Thanks!