OpenELEC Forum
More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues (/showthread.php?tid=6837)

Pages: 1 2 3

More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - westptx - 06-04-2011

Hello all,

I've been troubleshooting for hours on how to get my ID11 to output sound via HDMI. I currently have no sound when I play movie files nor do I hear any menu sounds.

My current setup is the ZBOX attached directly to my TV via HDMI. I have a fresh install of Openelec 0.99.5 RC5 Ion x86 build.

I have SSHed into the box and copied the appropriate asound.conf (into .config) and sound.conf (into .config/modprobe.d).

My current asound.conf is:
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

My current sound.conf (in modprobe.d directory):
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

I have tried every single combination of options in System -> Settings -> Audio Output and I am absolutely stuck.

aplay -l :

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

aplay -L :
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output

I have tried everything that I've found in the previous threads about this but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - westptx - 06-06-2011

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - westptx - 06-06-2011

In a weird twist of fate, I was able to force a reload of XBMC via:
killall -SEGV xbmc.bin

After a fresh install, and copying the asound.conf and sound.conf in their respective directories, I am now getting menu sounds. In addition, I had to uncheck DTS and Dolby Digital capable receiver.

Now I need to figure out how to slow XMBC down so that all of the drivers are loaded in time.

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - gilphilbert - 06-07-2011

Slow down? Never Tongue

Which drivers are you having problems with?

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - shadowfighter - 06-11-2011

Hi,

I have the same issue and therefore created a script which does that restart of XBMC as well. I have to run it each time when the box was powered down. The drivers are not loaded in time, what is causing this issue. I talked to Stephen about it, and for now this is the supposed work around. If you put your machine in hibernate mode, the issue doesn't exist.

We have to wait until Stephen finds a solution for it Smile

Tx!

PS: same hardware here Smile

PSPS: anyone knows how to add this script to the programs section so I don't have to ssh each time to the box?

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - ultraman - 06-11-2011

shadowfighter post=7018 Wrote:Hi,
PSPS: anyone knows how to add this script to the programs section so I don't have to ssh each time to the box?
Well, this could be done in /etc/init.d/93_xbmc script which starts xbmc. And I also add another script in init.d in my personal build which run another script on /storage. So I can run any commands after startup.

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - Tocheeba - 06-16-2011

Stupid question...how exactly do I do this? I have audio working on my ID11, but no menu sounds, and I've been dying to figure out why.

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - westptx - 06-16-2011

From what I understand, you have to update the sound.conf and asound.conf files in their appropriate directories and reboot. I actually got my menu sounds working for a period but they have since stopped since I kept troubleshooting my audio issues during playback.

I personally don't like the menu sounds, so I'm fine with those not working Smile

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - Tocheeba - 06-16-2011

I've followed the instructions posted on the site, by putting the conf files in the right spots. However, I can only get movie sounds and no menu sounds.

Re: More ZBOX HD-ID11 HDMI Audio Issues - vindes - 06-21-2011

westptx post=6897 Wrote:In a weird twist of fate, I was able to force a reload of XBMC via:
killall -SEGV xbmc.bin

After a fresh install, and copying the asound.conf and sound.conf in their respective directories, I am now getting menu sounds. In addition, I had to uncheck DTS and Dolby Digital capable receiver.

Now I need to figure out how to slow XMBC down so that all of the drivers are loaded in time.

Just wanted to add confirmation that this repaired my lack of menu sounds over HDMI as well.

Man, I never would have thought of this. I was driving myself nuts, tried every possible config of asound.conf and all the different suggestions everywhere I could find.

I still don't understand why this happens with sounds through HDMI but has never been a problem with sound over optical.

So why isn't the simple solution just delaying the start of xbmc (through the etc/inet.d/93_xbmc script) by half a second or so?

One other note - with menu sounds working over HDMI like this i'm getting an annoying delay in the menu sounds, maybe 250ms or so. Never had that problem with menu sounds over optical. Anyone else have that problem?