OpenELEC Forum
Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue (/showthread.php?tid=74105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Tomcoleman - 12-08-2014

http://sprunge.us/jHeH

i cant get any audio or passthrough

just says generic audio @@

any ideas on how to fix?

above is the pasted output

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - lrusak - 12-09-2014

Is this the device you are using?
AMD E-350 Processor

It should work, if you have that device selected there is no audio output? Can you post a debug log after trying to play a file?

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Tomcoleman - 12-09-2014

fixed, just enabled pass through

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Gaigebacca - 12-16-2014

I have the same receiver and am using a Zotac with an AMD APU, and I have a similar issue. I can get audio passthrough as long as I do NOT have DTS-HD or TrueHD enabled. If I enable either of those options, it will not play any audio. I have yet to figure out why this is. Has done this on OE4 and now 5 as well.

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Gaigebacca - 12-22-2014

Any suggestions?

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - gadams999 - 12-30-2014

Gaigebacca post=125301 Wrote:I have the same receiver and am using a Zotac with an AMD APU, and I have a similar issue. I can get audio passthrough as long as I do NOT have DTS-HD or TrueHD enabled. If I enable either of those options, it will not play any audio. I have yet to figure out why this is. Has done this on OE4 and now 5 as well.

Just installed my TX-NR636 receiver to my Intel i3 with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx (can't remember the actual model). Same issue, once I enabled passthrough DTS shows up on the AVR but any DTS-HD MA or TrueHD only shows PCM and silence.

The Onkyo is up-to-date on firmware, and running OE 4.2.1. Haven't tried 5.0 beta, so from your experience Gaigebacca, appears it wouldn't make any difference.

Could this be some type of EDID cockup?

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - dkdkdk - 12-30-2014

Same here on ION2 platform (AT5iont-i). Switched from 3.2.4 ION version to 4.2.1 to 5, tried 3 different firmwares on my AVR, no luck. The DTS HD signal is not passed through, so when I switch off DTSHD in OE I can atleast get the lossy part of DTSMaster - DTS.

HERE´S a post from guy, that uses same MOBO with no problems at all. He doesn´t have any config files in OE done, just HDMI from MOBO to AVR, enable passthrough and DTS-MA + TRUEHD is working for him. So its not the fault of HTPC, nor AVR :dry:

EDIT: Streaming DTS-MA or TRUEHD to AVR it displays "Decoder Off" which means by the AVR manufacturer "The DECODER OFF message is purely an information message. It can mean one of two things - a two channel source is input or there is no input. In either case the receiver would not need to turn on a decoder to play sound."
Does it mean that OE/HTPC is not sending any audio signal?

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - Gaigebacca - 12-30-2014

gadams999 post=126463 Wrote:
Gaigebacca post=125301 Wrote:I have the same receiver and am using a Zotac with an AMD APU, and I have a similar issue. I can get audio passthrough as long as I do NOT have DTS-HD or TrueHD enabled. If I enable either of those options, it will not play any audio. I have yet to figure out why this is. Has done this on OE4 and now 5 as well.

Just installed my TX-NR636 receiver to my Intel i3 with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx (can't remember the actual model). Same issue, once I enabled passthrough DTS shows up on the AVR but any DTS-HD MA or TrueHD only shows PCM and silence.

The Onkyo is up-to-date on firmware, and running OE 4.2.1. Haven't tried 5.0 beta, so from your experience Gaigebacca, appears it wouldn't make any difference.

Could this be some type of EDID cockup?

I am not alone! :woohoo: I did a complete fresh reinstall with 5.0, and same issue. Where it shows up on output device in OpenElec Settings, it always just shows up as Generic @@@@. I have seen from other posters where it will actually show the name or brand of AVR or video/audio card here. From what I have seen, this does seem to be an EDID type of issue, may be wrong. But that is the closest thing to an answer I have found thus far.

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - dkdkdk - 12-30-2014

Try to create EDID+XORG.conf following this LINK
If you could not export EDID after
Code:
./nvidia-xconfig.x86_64 --extract-edids-from-file=/var/log/Xorg.0.log --extract-edids-output-file=/storage/.config/edid.bin
reset HTPC and give the command again.
This way you should have your AVR listed in Audio, but dont know if it helps even with audio problem.

Onkyo NR-636 Audio issue - chewitt - 12-30-2014

btw.. /usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig is embedded in the Generic 5.0 image so no need to download it, but (as per the big filename clue) this will only work on the Xorg logs from nVidia GPUs.