OpenELEC Forum
Bluray Disc Playback - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: KODI (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Bluray Disc Playback (/showthread.php?tid=74162)

Pages: 1 2

Bluray Disc Playback - sjharris - 12-12-2014

Hi guys,

Updated to the latest RC today and noticed the new Bluray playback options. Popped in a Bluray and nothing happened. Is there something I need to setup or be doing to play the disc or is this still experimental?

Thanks in advance.

Bluray Disc Playback - chewitt - 12-13-2014

I've no idea what new options you're talking about .. but the general process for playing DRM protected BR media via libaacs will not have changed because the legal position of playing BR media on Linux has not changed.

Re:Bluray Disc Playback - teeedubb - 12-13-2014

Curious, where are these bluray playback options?

Bluray Disc Playback - sjharris - 12-14-2014

The options are found under DISC where the DVD playback settings are. There is a new option for how Bluray menus are handled. Are you saying that under Linux, Openelec can not and will not be able to play Blurays and that if Bluray playback is required, then it will have to be done in a Windows environment?

Bluray Disc Playback - chewitt - 12-14-2014

OE can play unencrypted BR media (where there are no restrictions) and if you configure libaacs it can play encrypted media. However doing the latter requires you to break the law (as there is no legal method for playing DRM protected BR media on Linux) so to avoid legal issues for the project we do not publish any information on how to configure libaacs and we proactively moderate/remove posts in these forums on that topic. It's a rather stupid situation, but not one of our making..

Bluray Disc Playback - sjharris - 12-14-2014

So basically, in a nutshell, OE will never be able to play retail bought Blurays if they are encrypted (as most Blurays are) straight out of the box?

Bluray Disc Playback - chewitt - 12-14-2014

It's a correct statement for any Linux distro (as this is not an OE specific issue) but I suspect you're imagining some hugely complicated workaround is required, which is not really the case. Go read post #5 again, slowly, then go do some background research on libaacs.

Bluray Disc Playback - patseguin - 12-14-2014

A little off topic, but doesn't it defeat the purpose having a bluray player? The whole point is streaming media files right?

Bluray Disc Playback - lrusak - 12-14-2014

patseguin post=125123 Wrote:A little off topic, but doesn't it defeat the purpose having a bluray player? The whole point is streaming media files right?

No?

Some people like to have physical disks and play them in their HTPC.

Bluray Disc Playback - tipton - 04-12-2015

i have a bunch of unencrypted blu ray discs. almost none of the menus will play. is there any way to get them to play? if i want to go straight to the movie that is no problem but i'd love to be able to use the menus.