OpenELEC Forum
How many internal NTFS HDDs can OpenElec mount? - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: STORAGE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: How many internal NTFS HDDs can OpenElec mount? (/showthread.php?tid=74260)

How many internal NTFS HDDs can OpenElec mount? - SINightmare - 12-20-2014

Good evening guys.
I have a little problem. I switched from my Raspberry PI with openElec and a Windows PC serving the Files via network to one PC with openElec and all my HDDs inside.
I have one HDD with openElec and 5 NTFS HDDs plugged to the internal SATA connectors.
My NTFS HDDs are (in this order):

1. - 3TB HDD, GPT, NTFS, 1 primary partition --> named HDSwap01
2. - 3TB HDD, GPT, NTFS, 1 primary partition --> named HDSwap04
3. - 1,5TB HDD, GPT, NTFS, 1 primary partition --> named Dokus01
4. - 1,5TB HDD, GPT, NTFS, 1 primary partition --> named HDSwap03
3. - 3TB HDD, GPT, NTFS, 1 primary partition --> named HDSwap

I see sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde and sdf when I SSH to /dev and I see the name of every HDD when I SSH to /dev/disk/by-label.
But the OpenElec Media-Browser only shows me the three 3TB HDDs, not the small ones. Has anyone any idea what goes wrong?
As I used the 1,5TB HDDs with MBR before I had the same problem.

I know it would be better to format the HDDs to EXT4 but at the moment I do not have enough free diskspace to make a backup. Before I go out to buy another HDD I prefer to check every other possible solution Wink

If you need more information or if you want me to do some tests on this machine please be patient. I'm very new to linux based operating systems Wink

thanks for your help

How many internal NTFS HDDs can OpenElec mount? - SINightmare - 12-22-2014

I found out something by myself. I tried to check the usage of the disks with df -h to see, if I have enough free space to make a backup of one of the small HDDs.
In this list I can only see the three big ones and the system-disc (sda, sdb, sdc and sde) too.
Even if sdd and sdf are listed in /dev, I don't get any usage information. So I assume, there's no problem with openElec but with my partitions.

I'll try to backup my data and format the discs in EXT4. Maybe this will help. Wink

How many internal NTFS HDDs can OpenElec mount? - chewitt - 12-22-2014

Code:
journalctl --no-pager -b -0 | paste

^^ clean boot then run that and share the URL; lets see what errors show up in the output.

http://sprunge.us/IDLF

Quote:Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: Failed to mount '/dev/sdd2': Operation not permitted
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[644]: mount: mounting /dev/sdd2 on /media/Dokus01 failed: No such device
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: Failed to mount '/dev/sde2': Operation not permitted
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
Dec 22 19:09:29 OpenELEC udevil[643]: mount: mounting /dev/sde2 on /media/HDSwap03 failed: No such device

Ok, the small HDDs seem to have a corrupted file system. Maybe re-formatting them in EXT4 should solve my problem. Am I right? Wink

re-formatted the first one and oh look, there it is Wink
Thank you chewitt for the idea with the log-file.
I'll inform you here as soon as both HDDs work.

It worked Wink