OpenELEC Forum
Cannot restore from backup ("not enough space") - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: STORAGE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: Cannot restore from backup ("not enough space") (/showthread.php?tid=76745)

Cannot restore from backup ("not enough space") - GSHodg - 05-06-2015

When I try to restore from an OpenELEC backup I get the error message:

"Restore: There is not enough free storage space to continue!"

The storage on my Asus Chromebox is:
/dev/sda1 (Size=230.4M, Used=146.8M, Available=79.5M, 65% used, Mounted on /flash)
/dev/sda2 (Size=14.3G, Used=12.1G, Available=2.2G, 85% used, Mounted on /storage)

The backups are stored on my NAS and I can see the size of the backup tar file is 2.36G - so that explains the message, but...

I've just purchased a 32Gb SD card to expand the storage on my OpenELEC box (I plan to leave the SD card in the OpenELEC box), after inserting it the filesystem information reads:

/dev/sdb1 (Size=29.9G, Used=32.0K, Available=29.9G, 0% used, Mounted on /var/media/sdb1-usb-Generic_Po... (rest of this doesn't show on screen)

But despite the addition of this SD card, when I try to restore from backup I get the same error message: "Restore: There is not enough free storage space to continue!"

Is there someone else I should be doing to allow OpenELEC to use this SD card storage? (all I've done so far is stick it in the slot and reboot). Do I need to map/mount it somehow? Do I need to copy some folders over to it, to free us space on the SSD? (If so, which folders are recommended? Thumbnails?

Thanks in advance for any help - a few days ago I couldn't restore from backup and went ahead and rebuilt the OpenELEC + Kodi + TvHeadend system and it takes ages! So now I want to ensure that I can restore from backups in future.

I'm using OpenELEC 5.0.8');

Cannot restore from backup ("not enough space") - chewitt - 05-07-2015

The backup/restore function is deliberately simplistic and doesn't have any ability to detect that you added a 32GB card. So unless you expand the filesystem that we are trying to perform the restore from (which is /system) you will continue to have not enough space. However the "backup" is just a tarball so you can always copy it to the new partition (which has free space) and unpack it there, then copy things to where you want them.

RE: Cannot restore from backup ("not enough space") - Maxalw - 07-03-2020

(05-06-2015, 10:31 AM)GSHodg Wrote: When I try to restore from an OpenELEC backup I get the error message:

"Restore: There is not enough free storage space to continue!"

The storage on my Asus Chromebox is:
/dev/sda1 (Size=230.4M, Used=146.8M, Available=79.5M, 65% used, Mounted on /flash)
/dev/sda2 (Size=14.3G, Used=12.1G, Available=2.2G, 85% used, Mounted on /storage)

The backups are stored on my NAS and I can see the size of the backup tar file is 2.36G - so that explains the message, but...

I've just purchased a 32Gb SD card to expand the storage on my OpenELEC box (I plan to leave the SD card in the OpenELEC box), after inserting it the filesystem information reads:

/dev/sdb1 (Size=29.9G, Used=32.0K, Available=29.9G, 0% used, Mounted on /var/media/sdb1-usb-Generic_Po... (rest of this doesn't show on screen)

But despite the addition of this SD card, when I try to restore from backup I get the same error message: "Restore: There is not enough topics for essays to continue!"
Is there someone else I should be doing to allow OpenELEC to use this SD card storage? (all I've done so far is stick it in the slot and reboot). Do I need to map/mount it somehow? Do I need to copy some folders over to it, to free us space on the SSD? (If so, which folders are recommended? Thumbnails?

Thanks in advance for any help - a few days ago I couldn't restore from backup and went ahead and rebuilt the OpenELEC + Kodi + TvHeadend system and it takes ages! So now I want to ensure that I can restore from backups in future.

I'm using OpenELEC 5.0.8');

Same problem, does anybody solve it?