OpenELEC Forum
USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: AUDIO (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access (/showthread.php?tid=78515)

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - iCstyle - 10-13-2015

Hi everyone!

I have a RPi 2 running OE 5.0.8. Devices: USB sound card (Creative Xmod), USB HDD, HDMI to VGA, and LAN for internet-access. All powered directly from the RPi (iPad Power Supply, 5.2V / 2.4A).

I'm experiencing some crackling/stuttering of audio. When starting a youtube video, it crackles a lot while filling the buffer, after that I just get some occasionally crackles. When pulling the LAN cable while it crackles, it suddenly stops. So the problem must be somewhere in LAN interfering. Everything else works perfectly (inlcuding audio over HDMI), and I don't get any under-voltage warnings.

How could I fix this problem?

Thanks!

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - iCstyle - 10-14-2015

Hi everyone!

I have a RPi 2 running OE 5.0.8. Devices: USB sound card (Creative Xmod), USB HDD, HDMI to VGA, and LAN for internet-access. All powered directly from the RPi (iPad Power Supply, 5.2V / 2.4A).

I'm experiencing some crackling/stuttering of audio. When starting a youtube video, it crackles a lot while filling the buffer, after that I just get some occasionally crackles. When pulling the LAN cable while it crackles, it suddenly stops. So the problem must be somewhere in LAN interfering. Everything else works perfectly (inlcuding audio over HDMI), and I don't get any under-voltage warnings.

Thanks!

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - Soli - 10-14-2015

The lanport on the rp1/2 is actually an internal usb/ethernet adapter. Stupid decision that probably let them save a few pennies, but has always made the rpi struggle with usb audio, espescially higher frequency rates. Most of these issues have been solved/hacked around by now, so I don't think this is your issue directly.

But since the lanport is actually on the usb buss, your xmod is picking up some noise/modulations through the 5v/dataline line, and chances are that the xmod might be pretty sensitive to the things as it's really just a basic soundcard and doesn't feature good enough isolation against noise from the USB input. It probably doesn't help that you use a have connected an usb hdd at the same time.

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - nickr - 10-15-2015

Ethernet on a RPi uses the USB bus, so maybe it is maxing out.

Do you get the problem when using HDMI audio?

Maybe you need one of the i2c audio addon boards for your Pi?

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - nickr - 10-15-2015

iCstyle post=149535 Wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks!
I see you have cross posted to two subforums. Please don't.

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - klojum - 10-15-2015

iCstyle post=149609 Wrote:Hi everyone!

I have a RPi 2 running OE 5.0.8. Devices...

Doubleposting and crossposting are things we are not appreciating.
Please don't do it again.

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - chewitt - 10-15-2015

merged

USB-Audio crackling/stuttering while LAN access - iCstyle - 10-15-2015

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, audio over HDMI works fine. One reason I want to use USB audio is to use "sync playback to display", which works nice. It seems this isn't possible with audio over HDMI? Will it work with those addon-boards like HifiBerry, so I can get perfectly stutterfree playback?

I'm very sorry about cross-posting, I thought this category would be better for my problem, but I just realized I can't delete threads, after posting the second one. Won't happen again, and thanks for merging!