OpenELEC Forum
New Internal Hard Disk for Media - Printable Version

+- OpenELEC Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv)
+-- Forum: Generic Forum (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: STORAGE (https://forum.openelec.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+--- Thread: New Internal Hard Disk for Media (/showthread.php?tid=79001)

New Internal Hard Disk for Media - dlynch121 - 11-24-2015

Hi,

I'm running OpenELEC/Kodi on a HP Microserver and it's going great. My libraries so far have been made up of network locations, namely the Media drive in my main PC. The problem is, the reason I moved my media centre to the Microserver was that I didn't want to leave my main PC on 24/7, so it made it pointless!

I use the large media drive in my main PC for loads of other things, backups etc, so I bought a brand new 3TB drive to go in the Microserver, so I could move everything over to that and have it available all the time.

I'm fairly tech-literate however my experience lies mainly with Windows, I'm pretty new to Linux and Linux filesystems. I've managed to get this far:

- SSH'd into OpenELEC and formatted the new drive (mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc)
- Mounted the new drive under mediaMedia (mkdir /media/Media; mount /dev/sdc /media/Media)
- I can view the folder and map the drive from within Windows (I want to be able to do this as new content will still come from the main PC)

Small side problem - The shared folder is the name of the drive (sdc-ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68E) which isn't a huge problem but looks a bit messy - is there any easy way to change this?

My main issue is the formatting of the drive - I formatted trying ext4 and ext3 and I'm left with a drive which has 163 GB of used space before I've even added any files!

1. Is there any other way to format so I don't lose this space? I understand that this space is reserved for journals and "superblocks" which help recover from errors, however I'm not really worried about data integrity with this drive, it's going to be for films and TV shows so if I lose them it's not the end of the world.

2. Have I added a new drive in the best way? I couldn't seem to find much in the way of a guide for doing this - I think openELEC is mostly aimed at smaller machines that only have the one internal disk; all the guides were catering for USB sticks and USB HDDs.

[Edit]
Maybe the mounting didn't go quite as planned... it won't stay in media/Media and just mounts to the name of the drive - could anyone please give me a guide for dummies on how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,

New Internal Hard Disk for Media - klojum - 11-24-2015

Alternatively, use a live session of Gparted via a bootable usb stick to format and control the partitions on your harddisk(s). Every disk format has its overhead, and EXT4 is the default format for Linux machines.

New Internal Hard Disk for Media - dlynch121 - 11-24-2015

Quote:Alternatively, use a live session of Gparted via a bootable usb stick to format and control the partitions on your harddisk(s). Every disk format has its overhead, and EXT4 is the default format for Linux machines.

That's a great idea, thanks. Once I've got it formatted, what's the best way to mount it so it appears in my Kodi videos under the name "Media"? Or if I have it formatted in GParted will it just appear as a device when I add videos to the library?

Thanks

New Internal Hard Disk for Media - chewitt - 11-25-2015

Label (name) the disk "Media" .. OE will name the auto-share after the label